Sunday, February 15, 2009

You can't play after the work! You must play during the work!!!

February 5-8 was the Western Hunting and Conservation Expo at the Salt lake Convention Center (Salt Palace) Which means I worked off site all week.
This show is put on by FNAWS, which is the Foundation of North American Wild Sheep. This is a very large and Classy group which means most of the people coming are rich and classy as well. So, each night they had a banquet in which they auctioned hunts to the the highest bidder. The most expensive hunt................ $225,000! Yes, I put the right amount of zeros! Pretty crazy huh! Not all hunters are rednecks! These shows are A LOT of work, but fun in the end. It is always good to get out of the store every once in awhile. Plus, I got to spend EVERY day ALL day with my bestest friend Meg-Hann!!! It is great to have my assistant be one of the my best friends! It makes planning, shopping, and working at a very boring booth, WAY MORE FUN!!!

We had a large booth and were one of the main sponsors of the show. We also had our registers in two other booths. They were selling clothing, but we were getting credit for it. But that meant that two cashiers had to be alone at each booth. But since Meghann and I are inseparable we couldn't let that happen. So, she was a cashier and I was "signing people up for our credit card" Ya right! we got two apps in 4 days! haha We were basically standing around, talking, taking pictures, goofing off on our phones, and the best part- making fun of the crazy outfits, hairdos, and people walking through the show! We only had to be at that booth for part of the day, but we made the best of it! The rest of the time we were slacking off in our large booth. Having fun with everybody else- Tim, Ty, Troy, Jon, and Ashlee! Even Christian was able to come and have fun with us! And he didn't even have to work! Unfortunately he got attacked by a bear while we were looking the other way. Oops!


Ashlee, Me, and Meghann Working way too hard!

It was a great show! We had fun, made some money, and it went so smooth! Set up and take down was a breeze. Last year for set up, I decided it would be fun to slice my finger open with a box cutter and then go to the hospital for 5 stitches!!! Turns out, it's really not fun, I wouldn't recommend it! However, our Archery manager decided he needed to try it, but he had to trump me! The take down day he sliced his wrist with a box cutter! He was rushed to the hospital and ended up having to get surgery. He still has no feeling in his arm! Yikes! So, we had minor casualties this year! Meghann cut her knuckle, but she was a trooper. Later that day I sliced my finger on the register, but no worries a band aid was all I needed! It just wouldn't have been an expo without me slicing my finger open. And don't you worry, my coworkers made sure I got a ton of crap for it during the entire show!

Tim may not have cut himself with a box cutter, but he thought it was a good idea to sit down on a cardboard box. Yep, you guessed it, he went right through it! It was hilarious! He was kind enough to let me take a picture of him while he reinacted it for all of us to see.
Poor Jon is a busy man everyday, but put him in charge of a very large expo and you are likely to see him go like Speedy Gonzalez! We had to take a picture of him on his phone because anytime you looked it was attached to his ear!
Meghann and I decided to take up a new hobbie! No, not really. It was pretty funny though to see adults walking around the expo at 10:00 in the morning with a beer! For some reason our registers were the hip place to set down your empty bottles! Even though the garbage can was literally five steps away! People make me laugh sometimes! But hey, what are you gonna do? Also, after taking up drinking, I realized on the way home, I don't hold my alcohol well, and I am not a pretty drunk!
Ok, not really. But we were goofing off with the camera in the car and I got this lovely pic of myself. Goes well with the beer shot eh?
So, it was a great week! Meghann and I were glad the day it ended because we were both so tired, but when we got back Monday to our very large stack of paperwork on my desk, we were both wishing we could have gone back to the Expo!!!

One last pic, with one last story. Unfortunately you can't see the posters very well, but this guy made mormon's look very bad! I agree we shouldn't shoot for fun, but MOST hunters shoot for food. His posters quoted from teh scriptures. One said "The blood of EVERY beast will be upon your hands" He was ranting and raving about how hunting is bad, and guns are bad, etc. It was so funny, we HAD to get a picture! It was the perfect ending to a fun expo! We ended up having a great time and now have so many funny little inside jokes from people yelling at us, Brittany showing her terrible road rage, stinky Sam's Club, and a whole bunch more! It was the best week of work I have had in a very long time!!!

1 comments:

Troy and Mandy said...

Yay for new blogs!!!! Sounds like you guys had a fun week...even though it was work! I wish I worked with you guys...it looks like so much fun!