Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sunbeams

I LOVE MY CALLING, I LOVE MY CALLING, I LOVE MY CALLING.....

Sitting in singing time I realized today would be a different day that Jessica and I have not had in quite awhile. It left me sitting and repeating the words above over and over again in my head.

Our lesson today was "I am Thankful for Animals." While the kids were a little more rowdy than normal, it was still ok, No worries! Nobody was crying, screaming, or running away so we were good! We could handle this. But oh were we in for a surprise!

The kids were great at telling us all about animals, the sounds they make, were they are from, who created them, and everything! But it seemed today we were not going to learn about animals, but about a "russian dolphin." Now, this may sound to you like an animal, but oh no, you would be wrong!


At our Primary Activity a few weeks ago Jess brought these dolls as one of her show and tell peices. Well, Aiden LOVES it, which means he wanted to play with it. So, if he wants to play with it, all the kids want to play with it. Hence the term dolphin comes into play. To Aiden, this is the Russian Dolphin, not russian doll.


Now, some of you might read this and think, "Oh, I know sunbeams, they can get distracted, that toy was not a good idea, I feel so bad, etc etc." But don't think that!


For today I learned something! Every week I teach I plan my lesson a week or two in advance with activities, coloring pages, object lessons, etc. I found today that these children like to learn on their own. You can make a lesson out of anything. The kids may remember the little wooden peices I used for Noah's Ark. They might even remember going on a safari to find different animals through the church hallways. But ultimately I KNOW they will remember that Russian dolphin. They will remember how to build it, they will also remember that they MUST take turns putting it together and taking it apart. I also know they learned they can't play with it unless they are reverent. I learned for myself today that these children are adorable! You can't help but look at them and smile! They have amazing spirits waiting to burst!

When God gives you a "Russian Dolphin" adapt your animal lesson!

So, I say again,

I LOVE MY CALLING, I LOVE MY CALLING, I LOVE MY CALLING.....

1 comments:

Jessica said...

Check out the picture on my blog. I think it captures the lesson completely! No "Russian Dolphin" though...