Sunday, August 30, 2009

MARRIAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Love! Above all things I believe in love! Love is a many splendid thing, Love, lifts you up where you belong, all you need is love." ~ Moulin Rouge

Moulin Rouge~ One of my favorite movies! I know many people may be saying, "Is she crazy" If you didn't like it the first time, watch it again. Fast forward or don't pay attention to the first 20 minutes and you will LOVE it! Now, that being said. I also love this saying! And for the longest time I agreed! Really all you need is love in life. But today I realized you need so much more. Well, maybe not more, but there is so much that goes into love, you need to make sure you have everything. Once it is all in place, you may love. At this moment, all you need is love!

My husband and I are in Primary, which means we have spiritual lessons, but mostly spend our time babysitting. don't get me wrong I LOVE my calling. But I have to tell you how much I look forward to the fifth Sundays!!! And today I NEEDED it. No, nothing in my life is terrible, I'm not seeking marriage counseling, but I needed a spiritual boost! Today was PERFECT!!! And wouldn't have been if my husband wasn't sitting beside me. So, today at our church we had the chance to hear from a licensed marriage counselor.

Aimee Francom is in our Ward and shared her secrets with us today in church. It was incredible! I love my husband! I feel very lucky to have him. But obviously nothing in life is perfect. But I thought, as I listened to Aimee today, We are in a great position. We don't do everything exactly as we should, but when she talked about compromise I realized, Hey! we do that! When she talked about sacrifice, again, I said hey! we do that! She explained how your marriage is about commitment. If you both have commitment, no marriage can fail! Below commitment she placed the words. Self Esteem and Communication. Self Esteem? I thought, that's interesting. But she made it so clear. If you don't love yourself, why would your spouse? Tell yourself, you are great! gorgeous! lovable! Etc. Love yourself! She told us to use "I Feel" statements instead of just getting angry. Which makes perfect sense. Saying"You are such a jerk." Gets nothing accomplished. But saying, "I feel like you think this football game is more important than helping me clean" works every time! She also told us to make sure we have quality time. It requires three things, No arguing, no kids, and no electronics. Spending time together does not mean going to a movie, unless on the way to the movie you are engaging in active conversation, with the radio OFF! There were so many things she talked about that inspired me!

After the lesson as Christian and I were walking to the car I asked him what he thought and he said, "I feel.......like that was a great lesson." HAHA! So great to know your husband was paying attention and "feels" the same way you do.

I didn't expect this post to be so long, but I had to explain how I felt about out our lesson today! I don't know what I would do without this Gospel. I am so grateful to have it in my life. I am so grateful to be a part of this wonderful ward, and to be able to live in this city where there are so many active members! I am so grateful to have a marriage that is wrapped around the Gospel. I know without the Lord's help we would fail!!!! I LOVE my husband and I am grateful for him and his sense of humor, his commitment to me, his constant compliments, and how he told me he will never go a day without telling me he loves me. 6 years later, He has never missed a beat.

If you feel like you might need a boost, let me know! Aimee is an amazing person and I know could help anybody! Thanks for reading! Enjoy the company of your spouse, do not take them for granted!

"To those who keep the covenant of marriage, god promises the fullness of his glory, eternal lives, eternal increase, exaltation in the Celestial Kingdom, and the fullness of joy."

3 comments:

Lindsay and Mike said...

Thanks for all you do in Primary! I know what a hard calling that is (did it for 5 out of the past 9 years.) You are great! Aiden just loves you and "Sister Mill" to death! I'm glad you were able to go to the 5th Sunday lesson. They are always great!

Luke, Marie & Brody said...

awww...gag me!!! Just playin! I'm so happy to hear you love your husband! I guess I somehow always knew but it's nice to hear you say it sometimes!

Aimee said...

Thanks so much, I am glad you enjoyed the lesson. I love sharing it with people, I love watching people enjoy their marriages. Way to go!
Aimee